Back to photo list

Cragside

Cragside
The picture above is taken automatically from flickr.com, if there is something related to the picture please visit and contact flickr.com
Cragside is a country house near the town of Rothbury in Northumberland, England. It was the first house in the world to be lit using hydroelectric power. Built into a rocky hillside above a forest garden of just under 1,000 acres, it was the country home of armaments manufacturer, Lord Armstrong, and has been in the care of the National Trust since 1977. The property was opened to the public in 1979.

Cragside, named after Cragend Hill above the house, was built in 1863 as a modest two-storey country lodge, but was subsequently extended to designs by Richard Norman Shaw, transforming it into an elaborate mansion in the Free Tudor style. At one point, the building included an astronomical observatory and a scientific laboratory. The Grade I listed house is surrounded by one of Europe's largest rock gardens, a large number of rhododendrons and a large collection of mostly coniferous trees. One variety of rhododendron is named after Lady Armstrong.

Lord Armstrong spent much of his time as a child in Rothbury to get away from industrial Newcastle to alleviate his ill health. He returned to Rothbury after not having a holiday for many years and decided to build a modest house on the side of a moorland crag. The original house was completed in 1863 by an unknown architect but was transformed by architect Richard Norman Shaw between 1869 and 1884 into an imposing mansion. Cragside is an example of his English Gothic style. The interiors are of national importance for its collection of furnishings, furniture (much designed especially for Cragside), and fine and decorative arts, including work by many other outstanding designers of the age, such as John Hancock and Albany Hancock and William Morris.

In 2007, Cragside reopened after undergoing "total refurbishment."

In 1868, a hydraulic engine was installed, with water being used to power labour-saving machines such as laundry equipment, a rotisserie and a hydraulic lift. Armstrong was inspired by a watermill on the Dee in Dentdale, and in 1870, water from one of the estate's lakes was used to drive a Siemens dynamo in what was the world's first hydroelectric power station. The resultant electricity was used to power an arc lamp installed in the Gallery in 1878. The arc lamp was replaced in 1880 by Joseph Swan's incandescent lamps in what Swan considered 'the first proper installation' of electric lighting.

The generators, which also provided power for the farm buildings on the estate, were constantly extended and improved to match the increasing electrical demand in the house. The 2006 regeneration project included extensive rewiring.

A new screw turbine was installed in 2014; it can provide 12 kW, supplying around 10% of the property's electricity consumption. The new system uses an Archimedes' screw 17 metres (56 ft) long.

The use of electricity in many of the houses gadgets and internal systems has also led it to be described by some as a smart home as it was the first private residence to use incandescent lighting, a dish washer, a vacuum cleaner and a washing machine. One of Armstrong's stated aims of both using and funding these new automation technologies was to "emancipate the world from household drudgery", as shown on a plaque at Bamburgh Castle, his other residence.


The forthcoming Benedict Cumberbatch film “The Current War” was filmed partly at Cragside - the film tells the story of electricity pioneers Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse.
Date: 2017-06-30 18:19:53



National Trust cragside northumberland film location the Current War film

Visit : Indonesia-Furniture.com

Comments

No comment found!

Members of Indonesia-Product.com | Partnered with Indonesia-Export.com
Powered by IndonesiaCommerce.com | Promoted by IndonesiaWebPromotion.com


Visit Archipelago Country, A Tropical Paradise In The World : EastJava.com and Indonesia-Tourism.com